Defense Rests Case in Manson Murder Trial
Sunday, October 10th, 1971
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 10 — The defense rested its case Friday in the second murder trial of condemned killer Charles Manson, who smilingly refused to testify in his own behalf.
After Manson’s attorney, Irving Kanarek, told Superior Court Judge Raymond Choate he had no more witnesses, the judge excused the jury from the courtroom.
Manson was brought into the courtroom from an adjacent holding cell where the cult leader has stayed for most of his trial because of his courtroom outbursts.
Judge Choate told Manson 36, he had the right to testify against charges that he either participated in or ordered the alleged murder of movie Stuntman Donald “Shorty” Shea, and the slaying of musician Gary Hinman in 1969.
In answer to the judge’s statement Manson shook his head.
“I’d cut my head off on the witness stand,” Manson replied. “I’ve heard the questions. I know how this court works.”
Then Manson told the judge, “You’re the defendant.”
Earlier, while in the courtroom, Manson, speaking to the few spectators attending Friday’s session, declared, “It’s still coming down. You’ll be in my world soon and you’ll get the same sort of justice.”
He complained bitterly once more that he has not been allowed to represent himself.
Dep. Dist. Atty. Anthony Manzella said he has short rebuttal testimony to offer and the case should go to the jury either Tuesday or Wednesday after closing arguments.
Manson’s second trial began last July 23, when his case was severed from two co-defendants, Steven Grogan and Bruce Davis. Grogan is on trial in another courtroom for Shea’s murder, while Davis, accused of both slayings, faces trial in November.
Manson and three of his female followers were convicted and condemned to the gas chamber earlier this year for the Tate-LaBianca mimiers.