Order More Protection For Busch
Tuesday, August 31st, 1971
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 31 — Additional protection has been ordered for Dist. Atty. Joseph P. Busch and members of his family because of fears they may be targeted for attack by followers of Charles Manson, it was reported yesterday.
Reliable sources in the district attorney’s office said the increased security was prompted partially by the gun raid in Hawthorne Aug. 21 linked to the Manson “family.”
It also was understood that the district attorney’s office has obtained intelligence reports indicating there may have been a new threat. Members of the Manson “family” previously have made threats to “get” Busch, the sources said.
The sources, who declined use of their names, said members of the district attorney’s investigators staff have been assigned as bodyguards.
Busch returned to his office yesterday after attending a prosecuting attorneys convention in Michigan.
The gun raid involved an attempt by an escaped convict and four members of the “family” to steal 140 guns from a Hawthorne surplus store. It was broken up by police.
During a court proceeding for the five defendants in the raid, Dep. Dist. Atty. James Ideman said he had information that the guns were to be used in an armed assault to free Manson family prisoners on trial in downtown courtrooms.
Manson’s family members have publicly said numerous times that Manson will one day walk from the courtroom a free man although he is under eight death sentences stemming from the Tate-LaBianca murder trial.
Earlier this year, Manson’s followers allegedly threatened to “get” Busch with a hand grenade.
Next week, Manson’s trial resumes in connection with the 1969 murders of Donald “Shorty” Shea and Gary Hinman.
Another Manson lieutenant, Charles (Tex) Watson 25, is on trial at the county courthouse in connection with the Tate-LaBianca murders.
Last week, a Superior Judge declared a mistrial in the case of Stephen Grogan 20, charged in the murder of Shea. Busch said that Grogan “will be retried.”