Tate Trial To Exclude 1 Defendant
Wednesday, April 22nd, 1970
LOS ANGELES, Apr. 22 – The attorney for Linda Kasabian, a young mother charged with murder-conspiracy in the slayings of actress Sharon Tate and six others, said yesterday she will not go to trial with five other defendants June 15.
“If she has a trial, it will be separate,” Gary Fleischman said.
Fleischman said he was forbidden by a court order to say whether Mrs. Kasabian, 21, will testify for the prosecution at the trial of the other five in return for immunity.
“All I can say is that she has been interrogated by the authorities as recently as last Thursday,” said Fleischman.
He said a trial-setting conference, previously scheduled for April 20, has been postponed to June 15, the day a trial is set to begin for Charles Manson, Susan Atkins, Leslie Van Houten and Patricia Krenwinkel. The prosecution also hopes to include in the trial Charles Watson, who is fighting extradition from Texas.
Mrs. Kasabian, a pretty brunette, gave birth to her second child in jail last month. Since then, she has not appeared at any pretrial hearings with the other defendants, all members of a hippie-type “family” led by Manson.
“Her case has now, in effect, been severed,” said Fleischman.