Prosecution Rests Case In Trial of Manson Cohort

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 20 — The prosecution rested its case yesterday in the trial of Manson lieutenant Steve Grogan with the inspection of about 200 exhibits introduced into evidence in the case.

Grogan is accused of the 1969 murder of movie stuntman Donald (Shorty) Shea, whose body has never been found.

Superior Court Judge Joseph L. Call ordered the jury to return to court next Wednesday for the opening of defense testimony.

Defense attorney Charles V. Weedman said Grogan 20 will take the stand in an attempt to clear himself of the murder charge.

Weedman said he will also produce witnesses who will testify that Shea is still alive.

The state, represented by Dep. Dist. Atty. Burton Katz, contends that Shea was beheaded by Grogan, Charles Manson 36 and Bruce Davis 27, in August 1969, soon after the Tate-LaBianca murders.

The mutilated body supposedly was buried at the Spahn Ranch in Chatsworth, former stronghold of Manson’s hippie-style “family” of followers.

Manson, who has been convicted and condemned to death for the Tate-LaBianca murders, also is on trial in connection with Shea’s alleged murder. The trial is in a different courtroom, however.

Grogan’s trial began last month. Davis, meanwhile, has not yet come to trial.

This entry was posted in Archived News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recently Added to the Archive

The People of the State of California Vs. Charles Tex Watson
Assassins...Serial Killers...Corrupt Cops...: Chasing the News in a Skirt and High Heels Get Archive and News Updates via Twitter